Imagine this; you walk into the kitchen to find the cupboards spilled open and your very guilty looking dog staring back at your. The baking chocolate everywhere, somehow they found those raisins in the back of the pantry too! We know this is every pet owner’s worst nightmare and panic mode can set in. You know that these items are toxic and you have to induce vomiting right away, but surely there is something you can use at home rather than going to the vet?
What NOT to Do:
Dr Google recommends a wide variety of home remedies, which might seem harmless enough, but we have sadly seen pets die from these treatments. Salt is particularly concerning, it can cause acute brain cellular dehydration, seizures and death. Sodium bicarbonate administration can result in dangerous pH changes in the body and gastric irritation while hydrogen peroxide can cause oral and gastric ulcerations. In addition, these are quite ineffective methods and only result in your pet feeling sorry for themselves.
What you SHOULD Do:
This situation is all too common, if you are ever in need of advice, call your veterinarian and pop down to the clinic. This allows them to assess whether it is safe to induce emesis, use safe and effective drugs to do so and administer a reversal agent to stop the nauseous feeling afterwards. Depending on the toxic compound, there could be additional treatment required to ensure your pet makes a full recovery. Google is excellent for a great many things, including thousands of hilarious cat videos, however, steer clear for medical advice and give your veterinarian a call instead. At the Animal Emergency Service, we are just a phone call away.