Toxic Food For Pets

There are many foods and edible ingredients that are toxic to our pets if eaten. The severity of symptoms can range from mild to severe gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting or diarrhoea, to shock, cardiovascular failure, or death. This is a list of plants food for pets. This list will continually be updated so please ensure you check the list for food that is hazardous to pets.

Last updated: 27/10/15

ALCOHOL

Alcohol influences pets as it does humans but very little is required to cause critical illness or death.

Symptoms: intoxication, lack of coordination, poor breathing, coma.

APPLE SEEDS

food_appleThe coating of apple seeds are toxic to dogs because they contain amygdlin, a chemical like cyanide. This chemical stops pet’s blood from carrying oxygen around the body. A very large amount of the seeds need to be chewed to be of concern. Small numbers of seeds that are not chewed will pass safely through your pet and are not of any concern.

AVOCADO

Persin is an oil-soluble found in avocados has been found to be toxic to birds and large animals such as horses anc cattles. Birds and cats haven’t proven to be affected by persin. However, the avocado seed is a great risk to dogs and cats in the form of a foreign body obstruction if is is swallowed.

BABY FOOD

A lot of baby food contain onion powder because of its flavour and preservative qualities. This powder is toxic to pets because of a compound found in onions. Refer to Onions for more information about this category.

Symptoms: lethargy, orange or red tinged urine.

BONES – COOKED

frankie2015_4Dogs love to chew bones and there are many benefits from this but it is important to ensure you are giving your dog the correct bone. They can have raw edible bones such as chicken wings and necks, or large raw bones full of marrow. Dogs should never be given bones that are cooked. For more information about this, read Frankie’s story “It all started with a chicken drumstick”.

Symptoms: excess salivation, painful chest or abdomin, lethargy, retching, vomiting, dog rubbing at jaw or mouth with paw.

BREAD DOUGH

Raw dough contains live yeast which multiply in the stomach. This can cause the stomach to expand and sometimes, this is serious enough to reduce blood flow in and around the stomach. Intoxication can also occur from the yeast, much like alcohol itself. 

Symptoms: bloated stomach, breathing difficulty, lethargy, vomiting, retching, disorientation, reduced coordination.

CAFFEINE

food_coffee Refer to Chocolate for more information about this toxin.

Symptoms: panting, vomiting, diarrhea, racing heart, nervous system abnormalities.

CHEWING GUM

Two chemicals are dangerous for cats and dogs in chewing gum and other forms of candy. One is the sugar, the other is Xylitol which effects the kidneys and can cause the release of too much insulin in your pet.

CHIVES

poison-plants-chivesRefer to Onions for more information about this toxin.

Symptoms: lethargy, orange or red tinged urine.

CHOCOLATE

food_chocolateThis is very toxic for pets. Chocolate contains caffeine as well as theobromine and theophylline. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is for pets. If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate seek immediate veterinary attention. When possible, take chocolate wrappers with you.

Symptoms: panting, vomiting, diarrhea, racing heart, nervous system abnormalities.

CORN ON THE COB

It is not possible for a pet’s digestive system to process one (or part) of these if they are swollen. It will most certainly cause a blockage and if not removed it will be fatal. If you’ve noticed a corn cob missing, see your veterinarian as soon as possible.

FAT TRIMMINGS

Many unsuspecting pet owners believe they are treating their dogs by feeding them the fat trimmings from dinner. This practice has meant many pets have been diagnosed with pancreatitis over the years because of the high fat content in their diet.

GARLIC

Refer to Onions for more information about this toxin.

GRAPES

Grapes contain a toxin that causes severe liver damage and kidney failure. It doesn’t take many grapes for a dog to become critically ill or die. This applies to raisins and food containing these toxins such as hot cross buns.  It is unknown which part of the grape or raisin causes illness and the signs of poisoning varies a lot between patients.

Symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, excessive urination, lethargy, abdominal pain, remors, seizures, kidney failure.

HOT CROSS BUNS

207392_200053936701675_5484705_nHot Cross Buns contain raisins which can be very toxic to pets. Refer to Grapes for more information about this toxin.

Symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, excessive urination, lethargy, abdominal pain, remors, seizures, kidney failure.

MACADAMIA

Macadamias are toxic to dogs, especially when covered in chocolate. It is unknown which part of the macadamia causes poisoning and it is important to note that all patients have different levels of sensitivity to the toxin.

Symptoms: lethargy, vomiting, tremors, abdominal pain, lameness, joint stiffness or pale gums.

ONIONS

poison-plants-onion

Onions in every form are poisonous to dogs and worse for cats. The disulfides and sulfoxides found in any onion product damage the red blood cells and pateints are often severely critical by the time there are noticable symptoms. If you suspect your pet has eaten onions, garlic, chives or scallions, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention.

Symptoms: lethargy, orange or red tinged urine.

RAISINS

Raisins and food containing raisins are highly toxic to dogs. Refer to Grapes for more information about this toxin.

Symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, excessive urination, lethargy, abdominal pain, remors, seizures, kidney failure.

SALT

Too much salt can imbalance your pet’s electrolyte levels, cause dehydration and extreme diarrhea. It is especially important to monitor salt content if your pet is on a human-food-diet.

Symptoms: drinking excessively, lethargy, vomiting, retching, darkened urine

STRING

It isn’t acutally food but it is very common in and around the kitchen. String that has wrapped a roast is particularly one to monitor for as it smells juicy and delicious just like the meat. If a pet swallows string of any kind, it can get stuck in their digestive tract causing an array of problems. There are far too many symptoms to list but you can guarantee the guilty look on your pooch’s face will be a giveaway.

VITAMIN TABLETS

Some pets are diagnosed human vitamin tablets by their veterinarians with dosage recommendations. It is important you consult a veterinarian before administering vitamins to you pet to ensure the active ingredients are a safe level. For instance, vitamins containing any iron at all can damage your pet’s digestive system lining as well as the liver and kidney.

About the Author Solange

Leave a Comment: