Bullie’s Story: Bones and a Bottle Cap

Bullie’s Story: Bones and a Bottle Cap

One morning, Bullie’s owners found little their 15-week-old Bull Terrier snacking on a cooked rib bone. Suddenly, he swallowed it whole, in one gulp! The family rushed him to Animal Emergency Service immediately. Dr Brooke quickly took x-rays to see if the bone...
Kelpie vs Black Snake

Kelpie vs Black Snake

Dogs (and cats) love a good chase! This can get them into a spot of trouble when the moving target is a snake, this is why bites are common on the face and legs of pets. Nine-year-old Kelpie Cross Jake found out the hard way that a black snake was in no mood for play...
Snake Bite with a Twist

Snake Bite with a Twist

A miniature salt and pepper Schnauzer was victim to a traumatic bite with a horrible twist. By constricting the bodies, pythons are capable of killing their victims via asphyxiation in a matter of minutes. Leonidas (affectionately known as Leo) was lucky to escape the...
Snake Envenomation and Pet ICU

Snake Envenomation and Pet ICU

Snake Envenomation and Pet ICU Living in South East Queensland means there is one thing we are never short of – snakes! Although we see them all year round, they tend to appear more-so during breeding season – Spring and Summer. Snakes are attracted to the warmer...
Boston vs Brown Snake

Boston vs Brown Snake

Brown snakes, one of the most common causes of domestic pet bites in Australia and one of the most dangerous snakes in the world. Their bite contains a potentially lethal paralysis causing toxin, as poor one-year-old ‘Boston’ unluckily found out.It was a regular day...
LJ the Russian Blue and the gladiolus flower

LJ the Russian Blue and the gladiolus flower

LJ, the 2-year-old Russian Blue, was rushed to the Animal Emergency Service Gold Coast hospital collapsing at home. The culprit? Earlier in the day, he had ingested a small piece of gladiolus flower – a toxic plant for cats.   Many flowers can be toxic to cats...