LJ the Russian Blue and the gladiolus flower

LJ the Russian Blue and the gladiolus flower

LJ, the 2-year-old Russian Blue, was rushed to the Animal Emergency Service Gold Coast hospital collapsing at home. The culprit? Earlier in the day, he had ingested a small piece of gladiolus flower – a toxic plant for cats.   Many flowers can be toxic to cats...
Toad Toxicity

Toad Toxicity

Toad toxicity occurs when an animal grabs a cane toad (Bufomarinus). The cane toad secretes a toxic venom through glands which are located a the back of their head. The cane toad venom is very sticky and irritating. What to do if your pet has mouthed a cane toad If...
Poisoning

Poisoning

The signs of poisoning will be different for each poisoning. The range of signs is confusingly wide and sometime pose quite a challenge for the veterinarian to diagnose. Some poisons are irritants to the gut and cause vomiting and diarrhoea. Some poisons damage the...
Cycad Toxicity

Cycad Toxicity

Canine ‘Cuddles’ is a 3 year old female Jack Russell Terrier who owes her life to her attentive owners. They noticed she has vomited a couple of times and was not quite herself. They also noticed that their new addition to the garden, which had only been in place for...
Puffer Fish Toxicity

Puffer Fish Toxicity

On Thursday, 18th September 2008, the Animal Emergency Service (AES) treated a patient with tetrodotoxin. Sheena, a two-year-old Border Collie, had been walking on the banks of the Nerang River when her owner saw her eating something under a tree at about 3pm. Sheena...