We love to play with puppies here at the AES. There is nothing better than seeing our best friends grow up with their curious nature and playful antics. Nine-month-old Leo the French Bulldog is no different to any other puppy we’ve had the opportunity to meet – except Leo got a little too friendly with a chew toy!

Leo was rushed to Animal Emergency Service Tanawha after a pink rubber chew toy became lodged deep in his throat. As it was on a Saturday and his regular vet was closed, Leo’s owners knew AES would be there to help.

By the time they reached the hospital, Leo was in severe respiratory distress. The chew toy was lodged so far down Leo’s throat that he could barely breathe. The Vets rushed him out the back where Dr. Neil gave Leo oxygen therapy to assist him to be able to breathe. Leo went under anaesthesia so that Dr. Neil was able to examine his airways.

After some time, Dr Neil was able to see the chew toy in question and remove it from the back of the tiny Frenchy’s throat. This was a lucky escape: the only thing allowing Leo to breathe was that the toy was turned on its side, fortunately allowing small amounts of air to pass through the middle of the toy. Thankfully, Leo recovered well from his close call and went home that afternoon.

You can guarantee that Leo the French Bulldog will still be the curious pup that he is, but after scaring his mum & dad, he won’t be getting smaller chew toys again! It’s a common theme we see here at AES – even though chew toys look big and may seem appropriate, you can count on dogs (especially young puppies) to find a way to tear it apart and gobble it up.

OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE:

Common Plants that are Toxic for Pets

Toxic Plants for Pets Our pets love to chew, bite, gnaw, lick, munch.. everything! So it is no surprise that intestinal surgery is one of our most commonly performed procedures. Even a beautiful bouquet of flowers or common household pot plants can pose...

Say hello to Pet ICU Nurse Tahlia Felix

We are one big family here at the Pet ICU. We are very proud of each and every one of our team members so we like to show them off. We sat down with Pet I.C.U Nurse Tahlia Felix so you could get to know her a little better. Name: Tahlia Felix Position: Pet ICU Nurse...

Lola the curious little scavenger

Lola is a beautiful 4-year-old short-haired Dachshund who was brought to VSS at Underwood when she began to suffer from abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. In a distressed state and very unwell, she was admitted to Animal Emergency Service at Underwood,...

Tank’s battle through anaemia, arrhythmias and a splenectomy

Noticing that their dog, Poor old Tank the loveable senior Cattle Dog X wasn't feeling well, his caring owner took him to their family vet. After examination, Tank was quickly referred to Animal Emergency Service Underwood, as he presented off colour and lethargic....

How AES Jindalee Veterinary Practice Manager Grace Borg Grew Her Career

I started working at Animal Emergency Service in 2016 as the Client Care Manager for the Underwood Clinic. Initially, when I applied for the role I wasn’t optimistic that I would be successful, given that I had no experience working with animals. I quickly...

Rat Bait Is Dangerous!

Rat bait has become an increasingly popular choice for controlling rodents over the years due to the clean nature in which the poison works. Some types of rat bait are anti-coagulants, meaning that it works by causing uncontrolled internal bleeding. Rat...

The two dogs that couldn’t have their cake and eat it too

The owner of two Border Collie X dogs - Layla and Bonnie, spent her afternoon cooking up a storm in their kitchen and baking a delicious cake. After staring up at owner, Sarah, begging for a piece, Sarah gave in and gave them a piece each. Later on that...

We love your pets

Here are our favourite momentsOur patients are pretty special, so we thought that we would share the most precious of memories with you. These are a collection of our favourite moments from our Vets and Nurses inside each of the hospitals here at Animal...

How Leo the Cavoodle overcame a car accident

Meet Leo, he's a happy-go-lucky Cavoodle who always has a smile on his face. That is until one day when Leo was brought to Animal Emergency Service Jindalee in devastatingly bad shape after being hit by a car. Dr Deeanna Ho admitted and examined the Cavoodle with...

Wrong catch of the day

Anglers are being urged not to leave their hooks lying around after a beloved family pet was injured after swallowing one on a walk. Channel 7 News recently followed the story of poor Henry who swallowed a discarded hook before being rushed to Animal Emergency Service...

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!