LJ, the 2-year-old Russian Blue, was rushed to the Animal Emergency Service Gold Coast hospital collapsing at home. The culprit? Earlier in the day, he had ingested a small piece of gladiolus flower – a toxic plant for cats.  

Many flowers can be toxic to cats if ingested: lilies, chrysanthemums, cyclamen, amaryllis, azalea and hydrangea (to name a few). Common clinical signs of intoxication include vomiting, diarrhoea, depression and neurological changes, hypersalivation (producing more saliva than is usual), irregular heartbeat and abdominal pain. If you notice any of these signs in your pet, contact your local vet for help immediately.  

Following examination and admission, LJ was administered IV fluids and admitted overnight for neurological monitoring and assessment. After a night of observation, LJ showed great signs of improvement returned home the next day, greeted by cuddles from fur-mummy Tia. 

The beautiful message below was sent to the team by the curious Russian Blue’s loving family after he had returned home: 

“Thankfully LJ has made a full recovery and is back to his naughty little furry self and it’s thanks to you guys! I would like to thank everyone involved with his treatment from the 3 different vets involved to the nurses and the wonderful receptionists!  

The updates throughout the night were a welcome relief to staring at my roof wondering if my baby had made any progress. It’s a tough gig that you guys do and working in customer service myself I understand all too well how quick people are to react! 

We will be forever grateful that my baby was so well taken care of and came home to us in full recovery mode! At all times your staff were attentive, thorough and above all caring to both our fur baby and also to us! Needless to say, there won’t be any more flowers in our house. Thank you so much. ❤️” 

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!