1. Salt Water Toxicity

Salt toxicity or hypernatremia (excessive body sodium)  occurs when there is too much sodium in the blood. This Electrolyte (or body salt) imbalance occurs when there is excessive sodium in the body, or possibly a decrease in body water.

How does a dog get salt water toxicity

There are many ways our pets can get salt toxicity. This includes the use of salt pastes when trying to induce vomiting at home, ingestion of sea water, ingestion of pool water (salt water pools) and eating playdough. Sometimes excessive water loss from the body (eg vomiting, dehydration ) can be a cause.

    Clinical signs of salt water toxicity

    • Excessive panting
    • Excessive thirst
    • Excessive urination
    • Weakness
    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Confusion
    • Head pressing
    • Staggering
    • Mental depression
    • Twitching or trembling muscles
    • Seizures
    • Coma

    How to avoid salt water toxicity

    Avoid the use of salt pastes to induce vomiting. Monitor your pet while at the beach and discourage drinking of sea water. A thirsty dog drinks – they don’t always pay attention to what they’re drinking.  Lots of salt can even be ingested just from toys that get soaked in salt water that they squish and squeeze with their mouths! Keep an eye on your dog’s water ingestion while at the beach and take them out of the water if it seems excessive. Always make fresh water available so they do not feel tempted to drink the sea water.

    2. Sand Impaction

    Sand impaction happens when a dog ingests sand. This can be because something tasty has fallen into the sand and the dog eats the sand along with the food.  Playing at the beach can also lead to sand impaction when picking up toys from the sand, or in some cases dogs just eat it! Though usually owners are often unaware that the dog has eaten sand in any quantity until they see the x-rays.

    Signs of sand impaction

    • Vomiting
    • Abdominal pain
    • Constipation/ straining to defecate
    • Tiredness/  lack of energy
    • Loss of appetite

    How to avoid sand impaction

    This can be a challenge as the ingestion is often accidental. Monitoring your pet while at the beach, limit access to sand pits and teach your dog the ‘leave’ command, to prevent them eating unwanted things, such as a sausage that has fallen on the sand.

    Treatment

    Depending on how much sand has been eaten, sometime hospitalisation is required. They are placed on fluid therapy and can be given medications to assist on moving the sand along the intestines. Usually this isn’t life threatening, but can cause quite a bit of discomfort along the way.

    3. Fish Hook Ingestion

    Whether you’re an angler with a furry fishing companion or someone who walks your pet near a popular fishing spot, it’s smart to know how to avoid a fishing accident and what to do if your pet gets hooked. It only takes an instant. Your dog sniffs out and snacks on bait or a fish attached to a hook and the hook ends up stuck in her mouth, throat, stomach or embedded in their skin. If your dog swallows a fish hook, do your best to keep them calm and seek veterinary assistance immediately.

    If there is line hanging from their mouth DO NOT pull on it as this can cause or worsen internal injuries. If your dog has a fish hook embedded in their paw, piercing a lip or stuck anywhere else on their body, cover the area so your pet doesn’t gnaw, lick, or tug at the fishing hook and exacerbate the injuries and seek veterinary assistance immediately.

    Treatment

    If your animal has swallowed a hook it may be able to be retrieved with an endoscope. This is a non invasive method to look into the stomack and remove foreign objects. If it is deeply embedded into the stomach sometime surgery may be needed.

    Skin piercings usually can be removed with your animal heavily sedated to prevent struggling during the hook removal.

    4. Tetrodotoxin

    Tetrodotoxin is a toxin found in the skin and within the internal organs of a puffer and toad fish. In Japan, fugu (puffer fish) is considered a delicacy and chefs prepare the fish so that diners experience a small tingle or numbness to the lips when eaten.  If ingested in enough quantities however, puffer fish can be fatal to both humans and pets. This toxin interrupts normal electrical signal in the nerves and can cause fatal paralysis.

    Where and when do you find puffer fish

    During the spring and summer months, puffer fish toxicity is relatively common, however, due to our warm climate, we can see them year-round. The abundance of dog-friendly beaches, canals and salt water rivers means both cats and dogs have access to these fish, either when they wash up on the sand or have been caught and discarded by fishermen. Always supervise your dogs at the beach!

    Signs of Tetrodotoxin 

    • Vomiting and diarrhoea
    • Trembling and drooling
    • Wobbly when walking
    • Limb weakness/dizziness
    • Difficulty breathing which can lead to respiratory failure
    • Blue-tinged gums
    • Dilated pupils and reduced blink
    • Paralysis

    SUSPECTED PUFF FISH INGESTION, SEEK VETERINARY ASSISTANCE IMMEDIATELY!

    • No antidote is available, and supportive care is required with severe paralysis
    • When paralysis involves the respiratory muscles, then intensive care, such as mechanical ventilation, may be required
    • Symptoms can occur anywhere from as little as 60 minutes and can take up to 5 days to resolve

    OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE:

    Common Plants that are Toxic for Pets

    Toxic Plants for Pets Our pets love to chew, bite, gnaw, lick, munch.. everything! So it is no surprise that intestinal surgery is one of our most commonly performed procedures. Even a beautiful bouquet of flowers or common household pot plants can pose...

    Say hello to Pet ICU Nurse Tahlia Felix

    We are one big family here at the Pet ICU. We are very proud of each and every one of our team members so we like to show them off. We sat down with Pet I.C.U Nurse Tahlia Felix so you could get to know her a little better. Name: Tahlia Felix Position: Pet ICU Nurse...

    Lola the curious little scavenger

    Lola is a beautiful 4-year-old short-haired Dachshund who was brought to VSS at Underwood when she began to suffer from abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. In a distressed state and very unwell, she was admitted to Animal Emergency Service at Underwood,...

    Tank’s battle through anaemia, arrhythmias and a splenectomy

    Noticing that their dog, Poor old Tank the loveable senior Cattle Dog X wasn't feeling well, his caring owner took him to their family vet. After examination, Tank was quickly referred to Animal Emergency Service Underwood, as he presented off colour and lethargic....

    How AES Jindalee Veterinary Practice Manager Grace Borg Grew Her Career

    I started working at Animal Emergency Service in 2016 as the Client Care Manager for the Underwood Clinic. Initially, when I applied for the role I wasn’t optimistic that I would be successful, given that I had no experience working with animals. I quickly...

    Rat Bait Is Dangerous!

    Rat bait has become an increasingly popular choice for controlling rodents over the years due to the clean nature in which the poison works. Some types of rat bait are anti-coagulants, meaning that it works by causing uncontrolled internal bleeding. Rat...

    The two dogs that couldn’t have their cake and eat it too

    The owner of two Border Collie X dogs - Layla and Bonnie, spent her afternoon cooking up a storm in their kitchen and baking a delicious cake. After staring up at owner, Sarah, begging for a piece, Sarah gave in and gave them a piece each. Later on that...

    We love your pets

    Here are our favourite momentsOur patients are pretty special, so we thought that we would share the most precious of memories with you. These are a collection of our favourite moments from our Vets and Nurses inside each of the hospitals here at Animal...

    How Leo the Cavoodle overcame a car accident

    Meet Leo, he's a happy-go-lucky Cavoodle who always has a smile on his face. That is until one day when Leo was brought to Animal Emergency Service Jindalee in devastatingly bad shape after being hit by a car. Dr Deeanna Ho admitted and examined the Cavoodle with...

    Wrong catch of the day

    Anglers are being urged not to leave their hooks lying around after a beloved family pet was injured after swallowing one on a walk. Channel 7 News recently followed the story of poor Henry who swallowed a discarded hook before being rushed to Animal Emergency Service...

    How useful was this post?

    Click on a star to rate it!

    As you found this post useful...

    Follow us on social media!

    We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

    Let us improve this post!