It’s not easy to predict when things can turn for the worst – as Carly, the owner of 7-year-old Bull Terrier, Zen, found out. Just ten days earlier, Carly had taken her doggy to her regular vet clinic with an infected swollen left paw. However, even after being treated for the infection, Zen was exhibiting symptoms that left his owner questioning if he was getting better.

In a bid to be safe rather than sorry, Carly hurried to Animal Emergency Service at Tanawha to get some answers for her dogs odd behaviour. On arrival, and after a comprehensive consultation, the vets discovered abnormal behaviour such as stiff gait (stiff legs and movement from the hips causing an odd walk), and Zen was also knuckling on his forepaws (where the dog’s paws drag along the ground as they are walking). Coupled with difficulties eating, the inability to open his mouth, and a swollen toe, Zen was in a world of pain.

Our vets admitted Zen to hospital to start his treatment with immediacy, as all these symptoms were assessed as early signs of a tetanus infection. Our Veterinary team made sure Carly understood the risks of the treatment and kept her up-to-date on Zen’s progress.

As a Veterinarian it is not always easy to diagnose illnesses, and so a series of tests was done to confirm their early suspicions of tetanus. After analysis of a full set of blood results and urine tests, Zen started treatment for the tetanus infection – which included antibiotics, anti-toxin and muscle relaxants, in addition to life-saving intravenous fluids (IV fluids) to help deliver the medications around Zen’s body. Even though Zen was beginning to make a full recovery, it was likely he would exhibit the symptoms for up to three weeks. Thankfully, Zen has made a slow but complete recovery.

Thanks to Carly’s instincts that something wasn’t quite right with her usually playful and happy Bull Terrier, Zen is still alive and well today. Remember that you know your pet first and foremost, and if their behaviour is off, it’s important to seek Veterinary assistance.

OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE: 

Common Plants that are Toxic for Pets

Toxic Plants for Pets Our pets love to chew, bite, gnaw, lick, munch.. everything! So it is no surprise that intestinal surgery is one of our most commonly performed procedures. Even a beautiful bouquet of flowers or common household pot plants can pose...

Say hello to Pet ICU Nurse Tahlia Felix

We are one big family here at the Pet ICU. We are very proud of each and every one of our team members so we like to show them off. We sat down with Pet I.C.U Nurse Tahlia Felix so you could get to know her a little better. Name: Tahlia Felix Position: Pet ICU Nurse...

Lola the curious little scavenger

Lola is a beautiful 4-year-old short-haired Dachshund who was brought to VSS at Underwood when she began to suffer from abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. In a distressed state and very unwell, she was admitted to Animal Emergency Service at Underwood,...

Tank’s battle through anaemia, arrhythmias and a splenectomy

Noticing that their dog, Poor old Tank the loveable senior Cattle Dog X wasn't feeling well, his caring owner took him to their family vet. After examination, Tank was quickly referred to Animal Emergency Service Underwood, as he presented off colour and lethargic....

How AES Jindalee Veterinary Practice Manager Grace Borg Grew Her Career

I started working at Animal Emergency Service in 2016 as the Client Care Manager for the Underwood Clinic. Initially, when I applied for the role I wasn’t optimistic that I would be successful, given that I had no experience working with animals. I quickly...

Rat Bait Is Dangerous!

Rat bait has become an increasingly popular choice for controlling rodents over the years due to the clean nature in which the poison works. Some types of rat bait are anti-coagulants, meaning that it works by causing uncontrolled internal bleeding. Rat...

The two dogs that couldn’t have their cake and eat it too

The owner of two Border Collie X dogs - Layla and Bonnie, spent her afternoon cooking up a storm in their kitchen and baking a delicious cake. After staring up at owner, Sarah, begging for a piece, Sarah gave in and gave them a piece each. Later on that...

We love your pets

Here are our favourite momentsOur patients are pretty special, so we thought that we would share the most precious of memories with you. These are a collection of our favourite moments from our Vets and Nurses inside each of the hospitals here at Animal...

How Leo the Cavoodle overcame a car accident

Meet Leo, he's a happy-go-lucky Cavoodle who always has a smile on his face. That is until one day when Leo was brought to Animal Emergency Service Jindalee in devastatingly bad shape after being hit by a car. Dr Deeanna Ho admitted and examined the Cavoodle with...

Wrong catch of the day

Anglers are being urged not to leave their hooks lying around after a beloved family pet was injured after swallowing one on a walk. Channel 7 News recently followed the story of poor Henry who swallowed a discarded hook before being rushed to Animal Emergency Service...

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!